    Gainward (I don't care about OC) and it's a bit cheaper and much quieter.
    Do you think XFX is a good choice for geForce 6800 GT?

    Thank you.

    Luke Piasecki, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Luke Piasecki

    Si Guest

    I've read a lot of reviews and lab tests on the 6800 cards and more often
    then not, the XFX comes out on top.

    Hope that helps.

    Si

    Si, Oct 10, 2004

  3. I have an XFX 6800GT and it's quiet. Plus I easily oc'd it to 420/1100.
    That's 20mhz faster than the Ultra. I am very pleased with the XFX 6800gt.

    Jonathan Stephens

    Jonathan Stephens, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Luke Piasecki

    Runar Guest

    The Gainward has adjustable RPM, mine idles at 44C (420mhz core/1170 mem)
    at 50% reduced RPM. At that speed it's not loud at all.
    The cooling on this card is way better then anything I've seen so far, pure
    copper, well made.. Maybe your friend have no idea that this card has
    adjustable rpm.

    Runar, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Luke Piasecki

    tq96 Guest

    I have an XFX 6800GT and it's quiet. Plus I easily oc'd it to

    I hate that word "quiet". I've been burned on so many purchases because
    reviewers used that word.

    For serious info on quiet components check out the articles and forums at
    www.silentpcreview.com.

    I'd wager the quietest 6800 cards can be had by adding a Zalman Heatpipe or
    NV5 Silencer. I know Galaxy makes 6800 cards with the NV5 Silencer as the
    stock cooler, but haven't come across any with a Zalman solution standard.

    I have a Zalman heatpipe (with optional fan) on a Geforce 4 Ti and it is
    near dead silent. It's much better than the stock Gainward cooler
    (probably based on the reference design) I had before.

    tq96, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Jonathan, you OC it to 420/1100 and it's stable?! With just the one fan?

    Luke Piasecki, Oct 11, 2004