Your opinion please - "What is wrong with my computer?"

Discussion in 'Asus' started by bobjones, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. bobjones

    bobjones Guest

    Mobo - Asus P4800 - bios v 16
    CPU - Intel P4 2.8 Ghz prescott 1mb L2cache.
    Memory - DDR 333 - 1024 Megs
    OS System: - Windows XP Pro

    About two weeks ago the system just seemed to hang, so after a couple of
    minutes and severl "ctrl-alt-delete's" nothing happend so I shut the system
    off (had to use the power switch on the back).
    Turned the system back on and then...nothing.

    The computer would not beep and go into POST; the monitor just displayed a
    bouncing RGB box and no matter how long I left it like this or how many
    times I tried to restart, - the same result. I tried starting with the
    Windows CD in the cd drive and/or a boot disk in the floppy drive but to no
    avail.

    Since then I tested the video card and hard drive in my other computer - all
    work fine in this machine.

    I have replaced the bios chip - made no difference.

    I have replaced the ribbon cable to the hard drive - made no difference.

    As a side note, part of the bios set up with this mobo you can overclock the
    chip by increments of 10%, 20% or 30%. I was running it at a 20% rate.
    Can P4 chips get fried by an overclocking of 20% and if so how do you test
    that this is the case?

    Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be wrong here?

    thanks.

    bobjones, Aug 27, 2004

  2. bobjones

    Jeff Givens Guest

    First guess is power supply.
    JG... Jeff Givens
    mailto:

    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

    Jeff Givens, Aug 27, 2004

  3. bobjones

    JBM Guest

    Over clocking by any amount could kill a CPU.
    First thing I would try clearing the CMOS.

    Jim M

    JBM, Aug 27, 2004
  4. bobjones

    Phil Guest

    This is exactly what happened when my 2800+ chip fried on my A7N8X-X. No
    overclocking, no overheating.
    When I took the heatsink off and turned the chip over it was obvious the
    chip had blown itself to hell internally, so got a refund under warranty
    (dabs only took 11 weeks to do this...) and got a new 3000+.
    All other components seemed to be fine, but I replaced the generic PSU with
    an Antec one just to be sure.

    Phil, Aug 27, 2004
  5. bobjones

    Dave Hines Guest

    Remove all unnecessary peripherals, CD-ROM, floppy, case fans, IO cards.
    Try booting with boot drive , memory chip, video card and CPU/wfan.
    Nothing? remove the CPU and boot - see if post detects missing CPU. If
    it does - MB is probably OK. If post does not detect missing CPU -
    replace CPU. If no post - start replacing/swapping parts. PSU, MB and
    then CPU - one at a time. Doesn't sound good. AND it doesn't sound like
    you'll be OC'ing a Hot running Prescott @20% any more.

    Good luck.
    Dave - N2LAK

    Dave Hines, Aug 29, 2004