Z68X-UD3-B3 Quirks

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Brian Dude, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. Brian Dude

    Brian Dude Guest

    Hello, I recently upgraded my CPU and MB from an Intel Pentium D with an
    Intel D945PSN board to a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3 with a Sandy Bridge. I
    kept almost all my previous hardware the same.
    After I installed and reconnected everything, my system wouldn't boot.
    It would switch on for a fraction of a second to a few seconds and then
    shut off. Troubleshooting narrowed it down to my PCI video capture card.
    (Removed it, it booted up fine.) I contacted Gigabyte tech support about
    it. It turned out my old card was PCI 2.2 compliant, not 2.3.
    But now even with it removed, it's been acting a little weirdly when I
    go to power it on. It was fine for about a week. The only thing I did
    recently was replace an old IDE DVD drive with a SATA. Now it seems like
    a crap-shoot if it will power on successfully. I'll switch it on, it'll
    be on for a fraction of a second and shut off. Then I have to turn the
    power supply off, let the caps drain, turn it back on, and repeat until
    it works. I'm a little lost with what's going on.

    Hardware:
    Intel i7-2600k
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3
    4GB Corsair 1333 Dual-Channel RAM
    450W Kingwin Power supply
    3 Western Digital SATA 2.0 drives
    2 DVD burners

    TIA,
    Brian

    Brian Dude, Jun 27, 2011

  2. Brian Dude

    Phat_Jethro Guest

    I might maybe look at if your Powersupply is putting out enough juice.
    450W (and if it's an older PSU will put out less) sounds a little too
    low for a new hardware setup and 3 HDD & 2 DVD.

    Phat_Jethro, Jun 27, 2011

  3. 450w power supply is really, really small.
    Can you borrow a bigger one to test, like a 750w ?

    Paul in Houston TX, Jun 28, 2011
  4. Brian Dude

    Brian Dude Guest

    It was in fact my inadequate power supply. I got a 750W and it boots
    fine. Thank you.

    Brian Dude, Jul 10, 2011
  5. Thanks for the update.
    Glad its working again :)