    Tyan/AMD Socket 940 base?

    Thanks!

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Jim

    Scotter Guest

    I found fitting two Zalman CNPS 9500 LEDs onto my K8WE was very easy! I
    didn't have to remove the motherboard from the case. I didn't even have to
    remove the video card or RAM! Those Zalman's *look* big but once you remove
    your old heatsink & fan and hold the 9500 over the CPU, you will see how
    easy they fit. And no, you can't use your old heatsink. The 9500s come very
    much prepared for the K8WE motherboard, btw.

    I highly recommend getting some ProGold contact cleaner. Remove the CPUs and
    spray this stuff on them and it will dissolve the heat compound so it runs
    off and is easy to wipe and does not damage the CPU. Then put the CPU back
    and put a tiny (smaller than a pea) dab of fresh compound. Here some people
    say spread it around evenly and others say just drop the heatsink down onto
    it and that will cause the spreading.

    Here is one place I see sells that stuff (ProGold). I know Fry's here does.
    http://www.kiesub.com/caigclean.htm

    --
    Scotter
    Tyan Thunder K8WE

    Scotter, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Scotter,

    Thank you *very much* for an even more thorough answer than I had hoped
    for! Your message is filled with useful information. I *hate* the
    stock AMD heatsink/fan. Even if the LED does not show through my
    window, and I hope it will, it will still be much nicer to be looking
    at those copper heatsinks. Are you using the slow, or the fast, speed
    of the fan. The faster speed seems safer to me. I'll check into the
    ProGold. I just read that Arctic Silver is up to 5, and I only have a
    tube of 3. I guess I am out-of-date. Time for an upgrade!

    Thanks again for your help! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Jim

    BC Guest

    I just read that Arctic Silver is up to 5, and I only have a
    Dear Jim,

    from a recent thread on motherboards.asus:

    Maximum PC, January 2006 issue, Page 70: "Thermal Paste Debate":

    The conclusion: "It doesn't matter what kind of thermal compund you
    use, as long as you use something".

    A search of the MaximumPC web site does not pull up the article, but, in
    summary:

    Temperatures Idle Load (degrees C)

    Arctic Silver 5 36 54

    Arctic Ceramique 35 53 (best)

    OCZ SIlver 8 36 53 (tie for best on high load)

    Frozen CPU Copper 37 58

    Generic crap 40 54
    from Radio Shack

    Test rig used: AMD FX-55 CPU, A8N-SLI mobo, Gigabyte Neon
    heatsink/fan; recorded with Asus A.I utility; idle measured after 30
    minutes zero load; "load" measured after running CPU burn in for one hour.

    There was no mention of 200 hour "curing" time that Artic
    Silver/Ceramique apparently do better after....

    The Ceramique compound seems to always do best in comparison studies,
    and, it is apparently not conductive, which metal compounds can be.

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Jim

    Scotter Guest

    Ah! It feels good to hear that I could help!
    Yeah, I keep both fans on high but even then they are quiet. Turning them
    lower, in my case makes no difference in sound, since the other fans are a
    bit louder.

    Scotter, Feb 15, 2006
  6. Jim

    Scotter Guest

    Oooh now *I* can thank someone for useful info!
    Definitely copying this info into a file for when next I need to get some
    compound.
    Thanks!

    Scotter, Feb 15, 2006