    Or will the fan to be damaged, because the max. output from the fan mate is
    11V but is the fan a 12 V model?

    TIA

    Peter Wagner, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Peter Wagner

    Driekes Guest

    I think it is no problem but you cannot adjust te fan speed anymore and that
    what is al about. Low fan speed > Low noise...

    Driekes, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Peter Wagner

    ftran999 Guest

    Shouldn't be a problem at all. I have nearly the same cooler (except mine
    being the copper one) and didn't even bother installing the fan mate. Like
    Driekes stated you won't be able to control the fan speed but if it's
    important to you, depending on what type of MB you have you can use q-fan or
    some other setting in the bios to control fan speed.

    ftran999, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Peter Wagner

    Paul Guest

    I run mine direct from the CPU header, so it runs at 12V. I keep
    Q-fan disabled.

    In the manual for the "B" version, it says:

    http://zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/CNPS7000B_eng.PDF

    "Fan speed of 2500 RPM can be obtained by directly connecting 3 pin
    fan connector to motherboard. (Without Fan Controller)"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Thanks for your answer.
    Yes, I've q-fan as BIOS option.
    I'll try it to see how quiet it's with q-fan.

    Peter Wagner, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    I'll try the BIOS possibility q-fan.

    Peter Wagner, Aug 12, 2004
  7. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Paul wrote:

    Thank your for your answer.
    I'll try how Q-fan works w/o fan mate 1.
    Fan mate 1 annihilates only power (a heater), Q-fan is probably more
    'intelligent'.
    Thanks for the link.
    I hope the fan motor is the same as in the A version.

    Peter Wagner, Aug 12, 2004
  8. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    It isn't. :-(
    The minimal RPM with Q-fan is about 2150 RPM and at higher temperatures the
    RPM won't go faster. :-(
    I've reinstalled the fan mate 1 and adjusted to about 1600 RPM.

    Yes, it works.
    No damage.

    Peter Wagner, Aug 13, 2004
  9. Peter Wagner

    Noozer Guest

    I'll try how Q-fan works w/o fan mate 1.
    The graph on the Asus site (don't recall the URL) showed that the QFan
    didn't even kick in until the CPU hit 60'C! That's a bit much for me. I'd
    rather it kick in a lot lower and ramp up more gradually.

    Qfan set at 11/16 and using the FanMate at low the CPU is currently at 33'C
    (case 32'C) at 1500rpm. CPU is 2.6Ghz (800) clocked just over 3.1Ghz.

    .... time let Hoyle idle for a while and see how hot it gets.

    Noozer, Aug 13, 2004
  10. Peter Wagner

    Noozer Guest

    After 10 minutes CPU wouldn't go any hotter that 49'C with case at 33'C. Fan
    RPM didn't vary at all. (actually it hovered around 1470rpm).

    I find that my PC and the wifes PC will crash once we get around 52'C, but
    none of my apps push the computer that hard. CPU is down to 38'C within 60
    seconds of closing Hoyle.

    Noozer, Aug 13, 2004
  11. Peter Wagner

    Paul Guest

    The web page for Qfan is here:
    http://www.asus.com/mb/qfan.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Peter Wagner

    Driekes Guest

    Driekes, Aug 14, 2004
  13. Peter Wagner

    Paul Guest

    In the manual I have here, the Winbond 83627THF is there, and it
    has three 5V analog type fan control channels. But if you look near
    the CPU fan header, there is no big transistor or MOSFET to
    control the fan, so the necessary control device is missing.
    (Unless the transistors are hidden in a non-standard place...)

    You could play with this program, but don't expect a miracle
    if there are no transistors on the board to drive the fans :)
    The program might pretend to adjust the fans, but if the speed
    doesn't change, then you will know the transistors are missing.

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php (chip list)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Peter Wagner

    Ken Guest

    Ken, Aug 15, 2004
  15. Peter Wagner

    Michael D Guest

    Michael D, Aug 15, 2004
  16. Peter Wagner

    Driekes Guest

    I also was thinking about the hardware that is missing. To bad... About the
    program, I installed it on my A7N8X-X board (2700+, stock cooler) and the
    cpu temp was rising right away (to very temps above 56 degree c). I heard no
    noise reduction so I removed it.

    I don't understand why Asus doesn't support it to al boards. I saw in
    AsusWorld magazine that only the newest boards (and fully equiped boards)
    support Q-Fan2. Also the chassis fan is controlled. I bit late I think, all
    the Compaq/hp machine's (even the Presarios) are supporting that for a year
    or longer... And yes, there is an Asus or MSI (%$*$$$) board is installed.

    Driekes, Aug 15, 2004
  17. Peter Wagner

    Ken Guest

    Ken, Aug 15, 2004
  18. Peter Wagner

    Ken Guest

    Now I get the file via the "save target" function in my browser.

    Ken, Aug 15, 2004
  19. Peter Wagner

    Ken Guest

    Now I get the file via the "save target" function in my browser.
    But that EXE file does not working!

    Ken, Aug 15, 2004
  20. Peter Wagner

    Paul Guest

    Did you see the note near the bottom of the speedfan.php page ?

    "The latest version is SpeedFan 4.14

    NOTE: Some download accelerators may fail downloading. Try
    without them. NOTE: Norton Internet Security blocks the
    REFERER field. Download won't work without the proper REFERER
    field."

    So, apparently the author knows about the problem.

    When I tried, I got a 1,437,117 byte file for 4.14.

    Here is a mirror site:

    The file from files1.majorgeeks.com was 1,437,117 bytes and
    has the same checksum as the one from alnico.com .

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 18, 2004