    edge of the socket. However, in that location, Gigabyte has a plastic
    pin of sorts that holds the black plastic frame to the mobo. Do these
    pins come out?

    miso, Apr 29, 2006

  2. miso

    Thany Guest

    Since you still haven't got any replies, you are best off checking the
    zalman website for specs of the cooler in question. They should have fully
    specified dimensions of their coolers, especially the big "flower" shaped
    ones should have detailed specs.

    Thany, May 4, 2006

  3. I have the GA-K8NNXP and I think I have the same or very similar plastic
    frames and pins. Yes, these do come out. You have to be very careful not to
    break them if you want to keep them. The movie on the Zalman website is
    correct as far as it goes but not detailed enough.

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=165&code=005

    First, you need to remove the existing heatsink and fan to give yourself
    room to work.

    Now look at the frame, backplate and pins.

    These images are for the GA-K8NNXP
    http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=1615&image=12
    http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cpu/k8-2/k8nnxp3b.jpg
    http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cpu/k8-2/k8nnxp4b.jpg
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/reviews/images/Gigabyte/K8NNXP/01010125.jpg
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/gigabyte/k8nnxp/k8nnxpgallery2.htm

    The are for the GA-K8N Ultra-9
    http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2005-12-26/0913802170.shtml
    http://img.product.pchome.net/00/02/26/20/22620_3.jpg
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=1593

    The frame and plastic pushpins look similar enough to me.

    Each pushpin is in two parts. The outer part sits in a hole through the
    frame. The inner part goes through outer part and secures the backplate. If
    you look from the bottom of the motherboard you will see that the inner
    part splits into two. Use pliers or similar to squeeze the two sides
    together while carefully using a tiny flathead screwdriver or similar on
    the top of the flange on the inner part to pry the inner part upward.

    After you have pulled up the inner part, the outer part should slide out
    with a bit of jiggling and/or the insertion of a pin or tiny screwdriver
    into the space between the outer part and the hole in the frame. Just be
    careful not to damage the frame.

    The metal "nipples" supplied by Zalman should now sit in the holes in the
    frame where the plastic pushpins were. They should just slide in but the
    fit may be snug.

    See http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2005/08/19/k8-b.jpg
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/zalman-cnps9500_3.html

    You then put two of the supplied screws through the holes in the backplate,
    lined up underneath the holes in the motherboard, put the frame in the
    right place back on top of the motherboard and from the back of the board,
    screw the backplate into the nipples sitting in the holes in the frame. The
    frame should now be ready for you to screw in the heatsink.

    I hope this explanation is clear enough. It's the best I can do without a
    digital camera and without disassembling my heatsink setup.

    Paul C. Leopardi, May 21, 2006
  4. I have the GA-K8NNXP and I think I have the same or very similar plastic
[...]

    To reply by mail remove _

    Paul C. Leopardi, May 21, 2006