ZFS and SAS JBOD

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Mark, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I know similar questions have been asked in the past, but I thought I
    would ask again in
    case anyone has achieved this.

    Sun has the 2501 expansion array but does not support it in JBOD
    configuration. Dell has
    the MD1000, but I can't find a mention of anyone using this with zfs.
    Dell says you need the PERC
    RAID controller which I don't want to buy and doesn't go in the sun
    box I have anyway.

    These boxes are exactly what we need. Around .5TB of SAS for home
    accounts, and some
    large slow SATA for near term archiving with room to grow and an
    affordable price.

    Has anyone gotten a SAS JBOD to work with ZFS?

    I realize ZFS is not the issue, its the combination of Solaris/SAS
    HBA/JBOD. I worded the post this way
    because I'm not interested in any hardware raid boxes, where I would
    have to pay for the RAID
    controller, just to end up ripping it out.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Mark

    Frank Cusack Guest

    Either of those should work. Use the Sun SAS card. It's overpriced
    by 2.5x but still cheap enough that you don't want to 'f' around with
    the LSI version.

    I tried this about 6-8 months ago with the LSI card and a Promise J300s
    on SPARC but couldn't get it working. Kind of worked on x86 but not
    really. Sun has improved the SAS driver since then.
    The Sun 2501 does not support SATA.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Jul 18, 2007

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I'll go for the Sun one just for safety reasons. Thanks.
    I agree with the word "should" above, but I have to convince the
    people with the $ to trust me!
    I'm trying to get a rough estimate on when 2501 will support SAS and
    SATA at the same time and when 2501 JBOD will be supported by Sun.
    But since I work in software and know how projected release dates are
    permanently engraved in quicksand, I have to be careful about waiting
    for it.
    Thanks for the help,
    Mark

    Mark, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Mark

    Frank Cusack Guest

    It will definitely work. I'm planning on getting 1 or 2 of these also.

    Do you know if you can order drive carriers for the Dell MD1000? The
    web store says "blank hard drive filler" which to me means it is not
    a drive carrier. I have a call in to Dell to find out but waiting to
    hear back.
    Well, not having a 2501 in front of me I can't say for sure, but I'd
    be HIGHLY surprised if SATA didn't work. It's just not "supported".
    yet.

    If you end up trying it out, let us know how it goes.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Jul 20, 2007
  5. Mark

    Lone Gaffe Guest

    Sun is _really_ missing a lot of business and good will by not having a dirt
    cheap SATA/SCSI JBOD product. I can convince people to try ZFS with the
    usual cost arguments. But when I can't point to a _cheap_ Sun ZFS qualified
    JBOD I lose the argument.

    It doesn't matter that I can go to SuperMicro and get what I want. People
    don't want to have multiple suppliers and the associated multiple support
    contracts (and suppliers blaming each other when things go wrong.)

    I know the profits on a cheap JBOD are almost zero. But if I could
    recommend a Sun server+ZFS+JBOD combination for an application that only
    needs four or eight terabytes, Sun might get the business rather than Dell
    or EMC.

    Lone Gaffe, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Mark

    Trinean Guest

    Why couldn't you buy a 3310 (SCSI) or 3511 (SATA) Expansion Module, i.e.
    JBOD?
    Since it has no controller it's a JBOD.
    This assumes Sun will sell it to you configured like that.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Mark

    Lone Gaffe Guest

    It's not cheap. In any config, the disks sold by Sun are going to be at
    least five times as expensive as those in equivalent functional units
    sold by others.

    The Sun disks may be better in many ways, but we are talking about RAID
    configurations and I for one still assume that the I in RAID stands for
    inexpensive :)

    Lone Gaffe, Jul 22, 2007
  8. Mark

    Frank Cusack Guest