    into a 2 hour presentation.... Too tedious and so self-indulgent. Jobs
    should be banned from doing his own demos.

    Stan

    Stan The Man, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Stan The Man

    stan Guest

    From one Stan to another, yes I dozed off, but I am home in NJ
    relaxing in my comfy easy chair. I found the iPhoto portion of
    the talk very interesting though.

    stan, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Not quite that bad, but it was rather disappointing. "Garage Band" is
    cool, but the iPod mini is overpriced, and the updates to iLife were
    pretty ho-hum.

    And that was it.

    I guess I should grateful that my brand new G5 is not suddenly obsolete.

    V.

    Victor Eijkhout, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Stan The Man

    Carlo Coggi Guest

    The pricing is wrong, but I expect that supplies will be limited and
    Apple is trying to drive people to the 15GB iPod for now.

    Carlo Coggi, Jan 7, 2004
  5. I must politely disagree. Any lower and it would surely cannibalize
    sales of the original.

    I do agree with the OP that this MW was a serious snorefest, and I'm a
    bit confused and tweaked about the new iLife no longer being a value
    added product. At the same time I recognize the need for Apple to
    generate multiple revenue streams. Just seems a tad mercenary to time
    the new iLife intro so soon after the Panther update.

    I like the form factor of the iPod mini, but I wonder just how hard
    anodized that case really is.

    As for GarageBand, well, as a musician I'm afraid it will mean a lot
    more really bad trance/electronica noise without any musical foundation
    behind it. That's a pity even if it means any Tom, Dick or Harriette
    can now script bad club muzak.

    Finally, a pox on Apple's house for now making us pay for the iLife
    suite. Sure, fueling a Gulfstream V isn't cheap, but do it on Pixar's
    dime, ya miser.

    John Steinberg, Jan 7, 2004
  6. That's a thought. Another thought is that it comes with a dock &c that
    the 15G one doesn't have.
    As a musician who makes equal amounts of purely acoustic and purely
    electronic music it doesn't bother me. Sure, there is a lot of bad
    looped music, but other people do really creative stuff with software
    synths and effects. I don't think this will need an adjustment of
    Sturgeon's Law.

    V.

    Victor Eijkhout, Jan 7, 2004
  7. A similar thing happened with the old original LaserWriter and Adobe --
    people did newsletters and such that were compared to ransom notes because
    of all the mismatched fonts. I'm willing to bet that you're right for the
    first year or so, but that we'll get some very interesting things out of
    GarageBand that we never would foresee today.
    I'm with you on this one.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 7, 2004
  8. I like that it's kind of a stripped-down version of Soundtrack; the
    loops will be handy for my iMovie and iDVD productions.

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 7, 2004
  9. I think it's rather more powerful than SoundTrack. You can record
    digitally, midi, use it as an effects processor...
    Aren't you afraid that half a year from now everyone will recognise the
    loops as coming from GB/ST?

    V.

    Victor Eijkhout, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Stan The Man

    Davoud Guest

    John Steinberg:
    I'm sure that you meant "...any Tom, David, or..."

    I'm waiting for the feature which allows me to export from GarageBand
    directly into the iTunes Music Store...

    David/Davoud

    Davoud, Jan 7, 2004
  11. I think it's rather more powerful than SoundTrack. You can record
    digitally, midi, use it as an effects processor...[/QUOTE]

    I know, I just don't think that I'll use any of the midi or input
    features. Maybe the effects processing. My musical skills have
    deteriorated since I stopped taking piano lessons at age 8. Anyhow,
    I'll have to install it on my computer to see exactly what it's all
    about.
    My audience (wife, child, parents -- family videos) won't recognize
    them. Anyhow, I'd assume you can morph, mix and match them so much
    that they'll be hard for people to recognize.

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Try it, I'd say. There are people writing whole pieces without being
    able to play more than a couple of notes.

    V.

    Victor Eijkhout, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Stan The Man

    me Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:03:54 +0000, John Steinberg wrote:

    Brand new to Mac. Just bought two iBook G4s (one just before xmas, one
    just after). It would seem we miss out on the new iLife apps by about 16
    days. USD$49 becomes AUD$79, times two is AUD$158. It's a lot when we're
    brand new. Has anyone heard if the free upgrade they talked about for
    new iBooks is backdated a few weeks (at least)?

    me, Jan 7, 2004
  14. It's limited to purchases after January 6, 2004. But there is an
    iLife 5-license family pack for US$79.

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 7, 2004
  15. Stan The Man

    Steve Lidie Guest

    Hmmm. The year was only 6 days old. Steve did say to "pay attention" in 2004.
    So give Apple a few momments to breath, after all, look at what they did in
    2003:

    XServe
    XServe RAID
    1.0GHz iMac
    20" Cinema Display
    1.4GHz PowerMac
    Keynote
    Safari
    iLife
    Airport Extreme
    17 PowerBook
    12" PowerBook
    Final Cut Pro 4
    DVD Studio Pro 2
    iTunes Music Store (with iTunes4)
    New iPods
    Power Mac G5
    iChat AV + iSight
    Refreshed 12" PowerBook with DVI
    Refreshed 17" PowerBook
    15" PowerBook
    G4 iBooks
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    iTunes Music Store for Windows

    Besides viriii and bugs, what did King Bill do?

    Steve Lidie, Jan 7, 2004
  16. Stan The Man

    me Guest

    That's great - thanks for the info. These 2 iBooks are the first but there
    will be 3 more Mac systems bought in this family this year.

    me, Jan 8, 2004
  17. Three more? Will you adopt me? ;-)

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 8, 2004