A8N-SLi and SATA drives - how to install WinXP?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by horrgakx, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. horrgakx

    horrgakx

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Hi all - first post :) Am desperate for help, please see below;

    In a nutshell; I can’t get the GUI portion of the WinXP setup program to boot (ie once its copied all the files across and the PC reboots to continue setup). Error message it gives when trying to boot to the GUI section of the XP install is “Cannot load operating system”.

    Notes;
    1) I'm not using RAID.
    2) The initial setup copies across fine.
    3) I've tried Ghosting a working WinXP from my IDE drive across to the SATA and it still gives the same errors.
    4) I've installed the nVidia SATA drivers.

    Better description; I boot off the WinXP CD and start the installation process (white text on a blue screen). The setup program is able to format the drive successfully and copy over some setup files ok so I know that the BIOS sees the drive and the initial setup writes okay.

    Now, the problem occurs when it resets the PC and tries to continue to the second stage (GUI). After the POST completes it reports “Cannot load operating system”.

    I don't have a floppy drive in the system, some people have asked if I've pressed F6 during setup, but other people say I shouldn't need to do that anyway.

    System config;
    WinXP
    ASUS A8N-SLi
    SATA drive