Acer Asipre 5610 - Can't max RAM

Discussion in 'Acer' started by liquefy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. liquefy

liquefy

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5610Z with a whopping 512mb of RAM that runs Vista. I got such a great deal on it and knew that the first thing I'd be doing was upgrading the RAM. Technically, the RAM is upgradeable to 4GB.

First I bought 2 sticks of Patriot 2GB DDR2 PC5300 667 MHz SO-DIMM memory to install. I checked each stick in my computer and each stick worked alone, and each memory slot seemed to work. However, when both sticks were installed, the computer would not boot.

I thought perhaps the brand of RAM was somehow not compatible so I exchanged these for a 4GB kit made by OCZ technology. -- similar specs as the Patriot except PC5400. Still didn't work....

I called the Acer guys and had them stumped. They said it was possible that it was because of Vista, but I would doubt it since the laptop wouldn't even boot into the BIOS. All I got was a black screen...

Has anyone had an issue like this, or does anyone know of a decent resolution?

liquefy, Jul 11, 2007
  2. liquefy

gaffer

I am having exactly the same problem. Does your machine start with just one of the sticks in? - It probably will - Found this, which might be helpful http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=225097&messageID=2264083 however I have not been able to alter the maxmem amount.

gaffer, Sep 15, 2007
  3. liquefy

Muezick

I have the same problem.

It's not the OS, This laptop was running windows XP(I downgraded)

I upgraded when I got the new ram yesterday to see if it would help.

Vista does not help this problem.

Same problem as you.

5610z, 4gb ram, Will only read one chip at a time, but not both chips.

Also, I found this by searching on google "acer aspire 5610z 4gb ram upgrade"

Muezick, Jan 17, 2008
  4. liquefy

Muezick

NO SOLUTION.

According to KINGSTON The Maximum Ram for the 5610z is 2GB, NOT 4GB

Acer lied. THAT's Why They're Stumped.

Muezick, Jan 18, 2008
Ask a Question