Dell Optiplex 170L/ Windows proffesional XP Password problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by DMD, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DMD

DMD

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum on the off chance that someone with some knowledge on the Dell O[tiplex 170L model could kindly take the time to provide some helpful advice on a password problem. I was recently given one of these models by a family member from a business no longer trading that had an internal network in place The package in use is Windows XP Professional and on start-up I am met with the prompt to press CTRL/ALT/Delete to further increase password integrity. A windows log on then appears with the user name, the blank password field and a log onto field with the companies initials and another option WSD-(Users name) followed by this computer in brackets. I was given a password which unfortunately fails to work. I have taken a combination of steps from various sources including the dell support site as follows to rectify with no success.

I removed the internal blue password jumper on the motherboard, went into F2 and disabled the security settings, on a different attempt I placed it on the additional prong to short it? and again replaced it in the original setting, on each occasion I went into F2 to reset the security settings. On another attempt I took out the internal battery and left it out for some time before replacing and resetting the time and again the security settings. The prompt noted that the password has been disabled but yet on boot I am still faced with the original log in password request as described above. I have tried everything that I can find already detailed on this topic but nothing works, I am not by any means a techie but I do usually find my way around a problem by reading whats already posted but this one has me puzzled!!:When I disable by the jumper and go into F2 the security settings are as noted below

Password status Unlocked
    System password Disabled
    Set-up password Disabled
    Post hot keys F2 and F12
    FXE BIS Default policy Deny

My query is am I missing something or is it possible at all to clear the password protect without any additional software input Etc. My main concern other than being able to use the machine is to save the software packages that are installed on the computer.

II would be very much obliged if any member could take the time to point me in the right direction in solving this problem.

Regards,

DMD

DMD, Jul 23, 2013
  2. DMD

Kip Mcgee

Try this

When the user name comes up type administrator some will let you bypass all accounts and create a new administrator account. It depends on which version of Win XP Pro is loaded on the machine.
    Another way is to reinstall windows but do a repair on the copy on the machine. Not a complete install. Do you know what SP the machine has been loaded up too?
    If you do not know how to do the repair write back. Its been a while but I think I remember exactly how.
    Your Windows XP cd has to have a good key to do the repair.

Kip Mcgee, Jul 28, 2013
  3. DMD

DMD

Hi Kip,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and the details within, much appreciated. I will have a go at what you mentioned and see how I get on. I am not sure what SP the machine is loaded too, I will try to bypass the administrator account first and if I have no luck I will have to organise a windows XP pro disc and try that, I will take you up on your offer on the write back details if you dont mind should I have to take this route but hopefully the first may be all I need to do. I'll let you know how I get on,

Regards,

DMD

DMD, Aug 1, 2013
  4. DMD

Keith999

Im stuck with the same problem, any help?

Keith999, Dec 27, 2020
Ask a Question