GA-965P-DS4 setting up 6 HDD's in RAID 5

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Timmsi, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Timmsi

Timmsi

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Intel controller to raid 6 x 320g HDD but it keeps coming up that I can only select 3-4 HDD's and not 6.

The controller can see all 6 HDD's and I'm using the latest Intel Storage Manager.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it is frustrating...

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Timmsi

Update: I've finally found reference to the fact that you can only have a max of 4 HDD's hooked up in RAID in the ICH8R chip - so 4x HDD in raid 0 and 2x HDD raid 1 etc but not 6x HDD raid 0 or 6. They really don't make that clear in the advertising :mad:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
    Timmsi, Oct 27, 2006
  2. Timmsi

BlobZ

Query what raid type used

Timmsi,

What raid type did you use for the four drives? I have 3 drives set up with Raid5 and am getting all sorts of system failures and problems.

I first noticed problems when my XP system hibernates. I don't think the RAID controller was flushing all the data to disk so when the system powered on it failed as the hiberfil.sys was corrupt.

How is your's going?

Bob

BlobZ, Nov 6, 2006
  3. Timmsi

Timmsi

Hi,

I ended up doing RAID 0 with the 4 disks and a RAID 1 with two disks.

I wanted some space protected and the rest just as storage. It's been running fine so far. When I boot into XP it always comes up with the message that data is protected on the RAID 1 disks.

Hope that helps.

Timmsi

Timmsi, Nov 13, 2006
Ask a Question