Has my motherboard died?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kano, Jun 30, 2008.

  1. Kano

    Kano

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    This is a LONG story, so bear with me

    My computer has:
    An ASUS Motherboard
    2 SLI-Linked 512MB DDR2 GRAPHICS CARDS
    2.4ghz Dual-Core AMD Processor
    2 250GB SATA Hard drives
    LG Lightscribe Drive
    Soundblaster X-fi Soundboard
    700W PSU
    2GB DDR2 RAM

    So the other day there i was, happily playing world of warcraft (please dont shoot me), and suddenly the pc just died, all power cut off, i thought it strange and opened all the windows to cool the place down in case it was an overheat problem.

    Started the pc, 10 minutes later, another shutdown

    I was curious, i thought perhaps something was very wrong with the hardware, so i took off the side of my pc case, after many minutes searching i finally saw that one of the mounting clips that the CPU-fan clips onto had snapped, thus making the CPU Fan slip and not cool the CPU properly.

    I applied some thermal paste to hopefully stick it until i could figure out a way to stop it slipping.

    Over the next few days i could get many hours, or several minutes useage depending on conditions. Then, the morning i decide to go into town to get something to remedy the problem, the computer hung while i was playing WOW, did not shut down, just hung, i restarted the pc and WHAM! no bootup

    I started the pc several more times after that, sometimes it would make it to the motherboard logo and hang, other times it would be just after that. After several restarts the pc just didnt display anything at all.

    I switched off the power and removed all power cables, gave it an hour or so, tried restarting and it made it to the motherboard logo and hung, restarted again, didnt show anything at all, it seems that the longer i leave the pc with no power the further into the boot sequence it manages to get, but always hangs.

    I got a HP Pavilion motherboard and CPU from friend so i could re-attach all my components, after re-attaching an boosting up, the setup makes it to the stage where the operating system should load and just gives me a blinking cursor, this sent alarm bells ringing as i now thought the hard drive was fried or corrupt. I decided to try re-installing windows in case the chipset on the new board was confusing the OS, when xp gave me the select partition to install to page, i get a list of drives with absolutely NO volume to them whatsoever, then shortly after the PC blue screens and forces a restart.

    I decided to try my second hard drive in case the main drive was non-repairable and causing the error, the error happens with both of my hard drives.

    I am also concerned to learn that, after the pc hanging that fateul day when i was playing WOW, my MSN address has now been mysteriously deleted, none of my friends can log in as me, says my ID is non-existant.

    I cant help but get the feeling that ive been haxed in some form, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do?

    Also tried taking the motherboard battery out for 10 minutes to reset the bios in case it was corrupt, no joy

    I also have no idea if it's simply that a HP motherboard cant recognise non-HP components, and thats why my hard drives wont show their volumes, but the pot-test detects the drives fine and the bios can even tell me the volume on the drives.

    Need desperate help, if it was a case of buy a new motherboard i can work with that but after my hard drives not reistering, im scared that both my hard drives AND motherboard have been fried, and i dont want to waste money taking it to a pc repair centre if it's a simple problem.

    Sorry about the length of that, just wanted to get you all the facts, any help?

    Kano

    Kano, Jun 30, 2008