help with motherboard presario desktop sr1950nx

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by billhiggs, Jun 26, 2010.

  1. billhiggs

    billhiggs

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    the motherboard on my compaq presario sr1950nx has died, HP not longer stocks or sells this motherboard, had it in to a shop and they say the power suplly is good but the board is dead, just baffles me that hp has discontinued the board on a 3 1/2 year old computer

    its an asus a8n-la, nagami2-gl8e made by asus specifically for hp

    looking for some pointer to verify that the board is gone

    and also info to help me get the right board from ebay (there are lots listed) HP is no help at all, all they suggest is buy a new HP

    when I turn the computer on the cooling fans come on at full speed but thats it, no video no beeps, no attempt to boot either from dvd or hd

    I have been told by hp that since the tattoo on the replacement motherboard wont match that my restore disc nor software on the hard drive will not work, but ti has also been suggested to me that if the board is a close enough match the software may not notice, has anyone just switched same model motherboard without issue?

    so how do I interpret the numbers on my board to get a right match

    the board model is a8n-la nagami2-gl8e, there are lots of this board on ebay but some seen to have numbers that differ from my board

    my numbers are
    M981Q7
    2.00 801
    hp pn 5188 5067
    (there are various boards on ebay with sliht variations of the above number)
    C65S184-00510

    which of these number do I have to match? and whats the odd that a close match will just install without creating issues with the tattoo on the motherboard bios?

    Thanks for any and all help and suggestions

    Bill

    billhiggs, Jun 26, 2010