HP 1755 monitor, computers balk when adding another 512M

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by sylva, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. sylva

    sylva

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2006
    Hello all!

    I have a question and a problem.

    Question: The HP 1755 is a fantastic monitor. Its contrast ratio, 1000:1, renders everything cristal clear without causing vision fatigue and it doesn't dim on its upper third as many others do.
    Do you guys know of a 19 or 20 inch HP with equivalent performance?

    Problem: I added another 512MB of memory to two of my computers. With the former 512MB they didn't have any problems running. However, with this total of 1 GB they either reboot by themselves or simply freeze. I updated the BIOS, the OS is WinXP sp2, 2 large HDs and CD/DVD rewriting drives, video memory separate from the MoBo (128MB) on both. If only one of the computers balked I'd know to look for the problem on that particular one, but in this way I think the problem may lay elsewhere. More, I exchanged the old memory sticks with the new ones. Same situation. By themselves, the computers run flawlessly with the new 512 MB sticks. When adding the old ones back, up to the total of 1GB, the computers act up in the manner previously described. Is there a memory mechanism in XP that has to be changed for large memories that I am missing out on?

    Any opinion?

    Thanks, John

    sylva, Nov 24, 2006