IBM 300PL 6862-82U Troubleshhooting

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Fredfs, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Fredfs

Fredfs

I recently acquired an old IBM 300PL 6862-82U computer at a tag sale and
    put in new RAM totalling 768MB( RAM used was 3 256MB DIMM-nonECC The machine booted up to the IBM blue screen
    and tried to boot using Escape and or F1. key. Nothing happened when the keyboard
    keys were used. My monitor is a VGA unit and the keyboard used is an IBM PS/2.
    Any thoughts on the problem.Is it a processor, electrical, or other issue?
    Thanks
    Fred

Fredfs, Sep 11, 2010
  2. Fredfs

Captainbob

Memory not compatable

Hey Fred,

Glad someone else out there has an interest in keeping one of these old IBM 300 PL dinosaurs going. I have one of these I got for free at a garage sale a couple of years ago, it worked but not very fast. I thought I'd install more memory to see if I could make it a little faster.
    Trying several sticks of memory I had around, I discovered not all memory is compatable with the motherboard in these. I tried several brands before discovering some Micron memory worked.
    I read somewhere these will work with up to 768mb of PC133 memory, even though according to IBM max memory is 384 PC100. In mine I was able to install 3 sticks 256mb PC133 each to get the full 768mb. I had 1 stick of Micron brand 256mb, and I bought 2 more used pieces off of ebay. If I remember right, I paid about $20.00 including shipping. If you need to buy memory for this, that is what what I would recommend. Spending more than that just isn't worth it for one of these old things.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Captainbob, Sep 13, 2010
Ask a Question