    Any thoughts on the problem.Is it a processor, electrical, or other issue?
    Thanks
    Fred

    Fredfs, Sep 11, 2010
  2. Fredfs

    Captainbob

    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    Memory not compatable

    Hey Fred,

    Glad someone else out there has an interest in keeping one of these old IBM 300 PL dinosaurs going. I have one of these I got for free at a garage sale a couple of years ago, it worked but not very fast. I thought I'd install more memory to see if I could make it a little faster.
    Trying several sticks of memory I had around, I discovered not all memory is compatable with the motherboard in these. I tried several brands before discovering some Micron memory worked.
    I read somewhere these will work with up to 768mb of PC133 memory, even though according to IBM max memory is 384 PC100. In mine I was able to install 3 sticks 256mb PC133 each to get the full 768mb. I had 1 stick of Micron brand 256mb, and I bought 2 more used pieces off of ebay. If I remember right, I paid about $20.00 including shipping. If you need to buy memory for this, that is what what I would recommend. Spending more than that just isn't worth it for one of these old things.

    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Captainbob, Sep 13, 2010