Introduction

Discussion in 'Motherboard General Discussion' started by Blumpy, Dec 19, 2019.

  1. Blumpy

    Blumpy

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2019
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    Hi. I'm planning my first new build. I'm old...67 to be exact...so I'm not real techy and probably wouldn't understand a lot of technical jargon.
    My ASUS laptop got bricked due to a cat related tragedy. It was a good 'ol laptop. Had it 9 years. Soooo I'm building a new desktop that will be cat-proof. I was impressed with that ASUS laptop so I'm going to stick with an ASUS motherboard. I'm retired and have a modest fixed income, so this will be a mid-range priced build. Here is what I'm planning.
    Coolermaster ATCS 840 case
    ASUS Tuff Gaming X570 Plus (WiFi) motherboard
    Ryzen 5 3600
    G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz CL-14 16GB (2x8GB)
    Rosewill 750W power supply
    Two Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2s
    One Toshiba P300 3TB HD
    One Lite-On Superwriter internal optical
    One Lite-On DVD internal optical
    One Rocketfish internal card reader
    One XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy OC+
    One Samsung 28" UE570 UHD monitor
    I figure this box will last until I die. I've got a condition where I think 15 years is probably more than I've got.
    What do you guys think of this set up. I prefer Linux over Windows and I'd like to dual boot from the M.2 drives, one with Linux (probably Solus), and one with Windows 10.
    I'm getting real tired of using my phone.

    Blumpy, Dec 19, 2019
  2. Blumpy

    Blumpy

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2019
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    The M.2s would be 500GB each.

    Blumpy, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Blumpy

    Blumpy

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2019
    Location:
    Wichita, KS
    I'll ask about dual booting in the technical forum.

    Blumpy, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Blumpy

    mortgage_man_1981

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2020
    Blumpy, let us know how it goes! good luck

    mortgage_man_1981, Mar 4, 2020