K8N Pro woes - restarts,cheksum errors,setup failures....

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by restowagen, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. restowagen

    restowagen

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Hi Guys - I'm suffering with my PC at the moment and I hope you can help. For a while now it has restarted randomly in XP. Then it got to the stage where it would restart at the XP loading screen 3 or 4 times then finally load XP. Right now, it will not boot into XP whatsoever, except for Safe Mode (where it is more stable but will occasionally restart)

    As far as I know the PC is virus and spyware free (I update and check regularly) and is of course SP2 equipped and updated.

    I thought the issue might be a PSU one, so I replaced the previous one with a new Antec TP2 480W. After installing this it ran fine for a fair few hours before restarting and it hasnt loaded XP successfully since.

    I thought perhaps the boot sector was corrupted, so I put my XP disc in and tried to boot from it. XP Setup gets to the point where it says "Setup is loading files (Kernel Debugger DLL)" and stays there for hours.

    Speedfan is reporting suspiscious temperatures from one of the sensors - 70degrees Celsius at startup - which drops to -24 ish after a short period. The CPU sensor and other temp sensors report around 27 degrees so Im guessing this sensor is faulty and may be the reason for the restarts.

    So to test this theory I tried to enter the BIOS setup, but trying this either causes a restart or presents me with just a black screen and flashing cursor.

    I have been getting BACKUP BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR appearing for a while at startup, where the BIOS will then update itself and restart only to repeat the process a few times. This started a few months back but would usually load into XP eventually after a while. Now it doesn't. I tried replacing the battery as suggested to me to see if this fixed things. It hasn't.

    Please help - I'm rapidly running out of ideas and hope. My next step was probably to order a new motherboard but I can't afford to get it wrong again without asking for advice first.

    Your help would be much appreciated.

    This is a system I built around a year and a half ago but had previously run for over a year with no problems.

    Specs are as follows

    Motherboard: Gigabyte K8N Pro (BIOS unflashed or mucked about with....)
    Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATAII
    Athlon 64 3200 Venice
    Crucial Ballistix PC4000 1GB DDR
    ATi Radeon x800 PCI-E

    Thanks.

    restowagen, Nov 2, 2006
  2. restowagen

    restowagen

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Just to update Ive managed to get a STOP code out of this which is a 0x0000000A IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL code.

    The full STOP code is Stop: 0x0000000A (0x9DDD96B0, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8051D8E5)

    Is anyone able to identify this further? Google gives me nothing on the specific code.

    restowagen, Nov 2, 2006