K8NE-Deluxe - Won't boot Sata II.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jjarrel, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jjarrel

jjarrel

I have been happy with this machine but then the boot drive failed. The new drive is a Sata 300 (transfer rate) drive instead of the original Sata 150.

As I am installing the OS (either Vista Business or XP Pro) the boot freezes after POST. It clears the screen and leaves an underscore to blink. The new drive is a WD and their web site indicates no special drivers are needed for Vista. I have never used the Raid and don't think raid drivers come into play.

This MB was originated with the Sata 150. The Sata II came after that. I have upgraded the bios to current to no avail.

Seems like my out is too get on EBay and find an old Sata 150 drive, buy a 10,000 RPM drive that is Sata 150, or scrap the whole thing (aargh). I don't know where else to go for a solution.

There is an old thread here with no solution.

Any ideas appreciated.

jeff

jjarrel, Jan 29, 2008
  2. jjarrel

Tewr

wam bap

Hi!

I have the same problem. I didnt realize it until a few hours ago though, I thought it was a problem with my memory (i purchased memory at the same time as the disc). I manage to run my PC with this disc, after rebooting 4-10 times after POST (bios freezez up when looking for the hard discs). However, the computer sometimes freezes under windows xp too, with the only solution to break the power, when doing data-intense operations on some sectors of the disc.

I have grown kind of fond to the disc so I just ordered an external usb2 cabinet for my disc. I guess it will arrive in the nearest.

I guess one option could be to upgrade the BIOS, but I have read through the upgrade notes on asus homepage and it doesnt say nothing about SATAII discs... so I'm not sure... + I dont have floppy drive :p

Tewr, Feb 19, 2008
Ask a Question