Laptop problem with Yellow Question Mark

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Amanda, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. Amanda

    Amanda

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Hello all!

    I am new to this site and have been checking around the internet in search of the solution for my laptop. I have the same problem as mentioned by a member but I don't know how to link to that post. Basically, I have a laptop made by Sony which has been giving me problem with accessing internet and video display problem, plus other issues. I hope this is the good starting place for me to find the answer to my laptop problem or if not, someone would be able to point me to the right place.

    I too have the yellow question marks next to the following device/controller. All of these are listed under the 'Other Devices' and have the message "The drivers for this device are not installed"
    ?ethernet controller (code 28)
    ?Mass Storage controller (code 28)
    ?Network controller (code 1)
    ?PCI Device (code 1)
    ?Video Controller (code 1)
    ?Video controller (VGA compatible) (code 28)

    I already tried to install the drivers but the system couldn't find any driver that match any of the above. I also tried to uninstalled all those device, restarted the computer and tried to install them again. But that didn't work either. So that's why I am here after having spent 3 days searching the internet on how to fix my laptop problem. I called several computer repair businesses and received quotes for $70 to check the laptop for problem, plus additional cost to repair and/or buying parts. I have a feeling that they would charge me a few hundreds to fix this problem. If anyone here can tell me what to do to fix my laptop, I would sincerely appreciate your help!

    This is what I know about my computer:

    Model Sony Vaio VGN-FS540P
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor X86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 Genuine Intel~1596Mhz
    Bios Version/Date Phoenix Technology LTD R0100J0 2/25/05
    SMBios version 2.34

    My thanks in advance for your assistance with this problem!!!

    Amanda:) :)

    Amanda, Apr 27, 2007
  2. Amanda

    cyriously

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Location:
    Ocala, FL
    Amanda,

    The following assumes you are running Windows XP! First thing I would do is go to Sony's site and download and install the drivers for both the ethernet and network controllers (you didn't specify if this was for wireless or not so make sure you download the right drivers for whichever is not working in your computer) making sure to note where the drivers are installed. If windows does not automatically fix your network and ethernet controllers in your device manager, then do the following one controller at a time starting with the ethernet controller:
    1. Right-click on it and then "Update Driver".
    2. When the hardware wizard opens, check the "No, not this time" bubble and click next.
    3. On the next screen, make sure "Install the software automatically (Recommended)" is checked and click next.
    4. Hopefully the wizard will find the driver you downloaded and installed, and will correct the missing driver indication for this controller. If so, click finish, repeat for the other controller and then skip to the next paragraph.
    5. If automatic did not find and install it, then click the back button, check the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" bubble and click next again.
    6. On the next screen, make sure the "Search for the best driver in these locations." bubble and the "Include this location in the search:" box are checked making sure to UNcheck the "Search removable media (floppy, CD-ROM...)" box.
    7. Type in the location where you installed the driver in the location field (next to the browse button) and then click next. Once windows installs the driver, click finish.
    8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the network controller.

    Now that you have your ethernet and network controller drivers installed,
    do the following for each of the remaining problem devices:
    1. Right-click on it and then "Update Driver".
    2. When the hardware wizard opens, check the "Yes, this time only" bubble and click next.
    3. On the next screen, make sure "Install the software automatically (Recommended)" is checked and click next.
    4. Hopefully the wizard will locate and install the appropriate driver correcting the missing driver indication for this device. If so, click finish and repeat for the next troubled device.
    5. If not, click Finish anyway and procede to the next paragraph.

    Go back online to Sony's site using the computer you are having issues with and download and install the remaining missing drivers (again, make sure you note their location) using the steps below to install them. Because the PCI Device and Mass Storage Controllers are both very vague windows terms for whatever is installed on your computer, it may be trial and error for finding the right drivers to correct these two problems. Carefully study the list of drivers that Sony offers trying the most relevant ones first. Do the following for each of the remaining problem devices:
    1. Right-click on it and then "Update Driver".
    2. When the hardware wizard opens, check the "No, not this time" bubble and click next.
    3. On the next screen, make sure "Install the software automatically (Recommended)" is checked and click next.
    4. Hopefully the wizard will find the driver you downloaded and installed, and will correct the missing driver indication for this device. If so, click finish and repeat for the next problem device.
    5. If automatic did not find and install it, then click the back button, check the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" bubble and click next again.
    6. On the next screen, make sure the "Search for the best driver in these locations." bubble and the "Include this location in the search:" box are checked making sure to UNcheck the "Search removable media (floppy, CD-ROM...)" box.
    7. Type in the location where you installed the driver in the location field (next to the browse button) and then click next. Once windows installs the driver, click finish.
    8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the remaining devices.

    I realize this is sort of tedious, but systematically going through these steps SHOULD correct your problems. If not, you may have to contact Sony directly for a driver installation CD designed for your model computer. Good Luck!

    Jim

    cyriously, Apr 27, 2007