Motherboard recommendation, please?

Discussion in 'Motherboard General Discussion' started by VMX, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. VMX

    VMX

    Hi there.

    I'm about to build a system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor (3.0 GHz), and I'm trying to make the best choice for the motherboard.

    I want an ATX (NOT micro), and I don't need an integrated VGA.

    The most important thing I'm looking for is reliability. Basically, I don't want to see how my board gets fried after a couple of months of use, and having to ask for a replacement. I just want it to be OK out of the box, without needing to buy extra heatsinks or anything, and preferably without having to open the case periodically to check what the hell is making that weird noise, or why did some temperature go up to 70ºC for no reason, etc.

    My max budget would be around 75€ (about $95) for the motherboard, and I obviously need a socket AM2 for the Athlon X2.

    I found Asus M3A78 interesting. I could get it for 70€=88$.

    It carries the 770G chipset, NOT the 780G.

    It has some nice features (such as "Express Gate"), and it seems it could perform well.

    I've also found a cheaper option, which is the Asrock A770CROSSFIRE for 64€ = $80.

    I've been told that ASRock are quite stable, that's why I'm considering it.

    What do you think about these boards? Have you ever tried them?

    Would you recommend any other boards inside this price range? (< 75€ / $95)

    As I said, I value stability and reliability above the rest of things. I don't plan on overclocking it or anything of the sort, I just want it to keep cool and stable without having to take care of it every week.

    Thanks in advance!

    VMX, Oct 27, 2008