    I have my own 1TB HD and a great video card and sound blaster - so all i really need is a MOBO / New CPU / New ram but im looking at some prices and just those 3 components seem liek the price of a mid-range HP or Compaq.

    Can anyone reccomend to me an upgrade path or products you would get if you were going to up the MOBO rather than buy a new box?

    Thanks in advance,

    mcmcom, Nov 9, 2010
  2. mcmcom

    Captainbob

    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    Your motherboard is a CPU socket 939, I don't think any 939 mobo's are available new anymore. If you are trying to save a buck, your best bet would be to shop ebay- lots of good used deals on there. Search under computers, motherboard 939 gigabyte and I'm sure you can find something. Otherwise, maybe now is the time to upgrade to the new cpu, mobo and ram you are talking about- you will notice a difference in performance from your old stuff. Or, you could buy a whole new system from Best Buy or Walmart for about $300.00 with Windows 7, direct X 10 graphics, 2 GB memory 500gb or more 7200 rpm sata hard drive, etc, etc. A $300.00 basic box system wouldn't be a super power system, but I bet it would be faster than your old AMD & gigabyte board.--TheCaptain

    Captainbob, Dec 1, 2010
  3. mcmcom

    Captainbob

    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    Okay, just for the heck of it, it went on Newegg and Tiger direct and did a little looking for cheap cpu/mobo set ups- I'm seeing combos for $60.00- $100.00 you could use your old case, PSU, Hard drive etc with, buy a couple of sticks of DDR2 800 memory for $40.00-$50.00 dollars and for under $150.00 you could be up and rockin' with some new stuff that would kick butt on you old AMD 64/mobo stuff. Or you could buy a "barebones" set up for $200-300.--The Capt

    Captainbob, Dec 1, 2010