s1854 rapid beeping

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by GBW88, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. GBW88

    GBW88

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    Hello all,

    I'm having some problems with the s1854. I know its an ancient motherboard, so forgive me for digging up the dead, but the thing powers my server, so I don't have many options...

    Whenever I power up the computer, I get the initial startup beep, then a string of uncountable short beeps, a bit of a pause, and then the beeps continue on, until lilo loads up, and slackware boots.
    Now, I was at first inclined to believe this was an issue with my PS/2 keyboard, as the beeping matches the kind you hear when you boot, and forget your elbow is pressing about a dozen keys on the keyboard.
    Funny thing about this, however, is that after pulling out my keyboard, and booting without one (as its a server, I administer it remotely anyways). Same damn beeping sound, straight through until lilo takes over.

    In an attempt to fix it, I have removed all drives, pci cards, RAM, etc, etc, and reseated all of them, trying all the possible combinations. Even the most basic with my single stick of RAM, the video card, and my CPU yields this annoying sound, causing my ears to bleed all over the place with aggravation.

    I've also tried a USB keyboard, but no dice there either. The manual for the board yields no help, and endless google searches have turned up next to nothing on the topic. All I really learned was that it can't be easily overclocked. Wonderful.

    This wouldn't be an issue normally, but since slackware has finally shat the bed one too many times, I'd like to swap to debian. However, no keyboard means its impossible to even boot from the DVD drive, much less setup the distro.

    Thanks loads for anyone's help!

    GBW88, Mar 6, 2007
  2. GBW88

    GBW88

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    After many hours, I figured out my own issue.

    At some point, for some unidentifiable reason, it would appear that my PS/2 ports have become broken. The reason for the keyboard sound was exactly what it sounded like- the mobo thought the keys were being pressed, even when they weren't. Best I can tell, something broke in the solderpoints for the ports, and they shorted out.

    Easy solution, though, I have a small piece of metal pushing them back into the position where they don't short themselves. Kind of shitty looking, but I suppose it works.

    Now, does anyone know if its safe to just desolder/remove them entirely? At this point I'm resigned to a USB keyboard, and just don't care anymore.

    GBW88, Mar 6, 2007