    Likes Received:
    0
    what is the maximum number of drives that can be connected on a IDE motherboard? apply the same question to a SATA motherboard pleeeassssse!!!!!!!:confused:

    bainboi, Jan 25, 2011

  2. bainboi

    freedom9ner

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not sure exactly what your asking but I'll try.

    Motherboards will have: 1 or more IDE headers (ribbon cable), 1 or more SATA ports, or both.

    For each SATA you can only connect one drive. Note, that your board may have additional external SATA (or ESATA) ports in addition to the internal ports.

    For each IDE header set (for lack of better term) you can connect two drives. Most ribbon cables have a 3 connectors. One for the motherboard and 2 for either 1 or drives. If you have 2 drives connected they are in a master & slave configuration. You may need to adjust jumpers at the rear of your drives so everything works together.

    There are expansion card (PCI for example) which expand either your SATA or IDE port count.

    Hope this helps.

    freedom9ner, Aug 17, 2012