SATA and IDE ports can't work at same time in Aspire T140

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bordoni, Jul 11, 2010.

  1. bordoni

    bordoni

    Dear friends,
    I've got an Aspire T140 that I bought from a friend. It came with an IDE HDD in Primary IDE port, and a CDROM drive that was disconnected. When I try to connect the CDROM in secondary IDE port, the computer simply doesn't start. After reading the user's manual I discovered it only had one IDE port (although it has 2 IDE connectors).
    So I decided to buy a SATA HDD in order to leave the IDE port free for the CDROM. That is not working, because no matter port I use, whenever I plug CDROM drive the computer doesnt start.
    Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?
    Resuming:
    IDE HD on PIDE: ok!
    SATA HD + CDROM on PIDE: no starting
    IDE HD on PIDE + CDROM on SIDE: no starting
    SATA HD + CDROM on SIDE: no starting
    IDE HD + CDROM on PIDE: no starting

    thanks for the help!

    bordoni, Jul 11, 2010
  2. bordoni

    bordoni

    Maybe something to do with using 20-pin ATX connector instead of 24-pin. I'm gonna test it tomorrow.

    bordoni, Jul 11, 2010