SATA and IDE ports can't work at same time in Aspire T140

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bordoni, Jul 11, 2010.

  1. bordoni

    bordoni

    Dear friends,
    I've got an Aspire T140 that I bought from a friend. It came with an IDE HDD in Primary IDE port, and a CDROM drive that was disconnected. When I try to connect the CDROM in secondary IDE port, the computer simply doesn't start. After reading the user's manual I discovered it only had one IDE port (although it has 2 IDE connectors).
    So I decided to buy a SATA HDD in order to leave the IDE port free for the CDROM. That is not working, because no matter port I use, whenever I plug CDROM drive the computer doesnt start.
    Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?
    Resuming:
    IDE HD on PIDE: ok!
    SATA HD + CDROM on PIDE: no starting
    IDE HD on PIDE + CDROM on SIDE: no starting
    SATA HD + CDROM on SIDE: no starting
    IDE HD + CDROM on PIDE: no starting

    thanks for the help!

    bordoni, Jul 11, 2010
  2. bordoni

    bordoni

    Maybe something to do with using 20-pin ATX connector instead of 24-pin. I'm gonna test it tomorrow.

    bordoni, Jul 11, 2010
  3. bordoni

    jackhicks1211

    Here’s a structured approach to troubleshoot the issue:

    1. Verify IDE and SATA Configuration:
    • Check BIOS/UEFI Settings: Enter your system’s BIOS/UEFI setup and make sure both the IDE and SATA controllers are enabled. Verify that the correct mode (IDE, AHCI) is set for the SATA controller.
    • Update BIOS/UEFI: Ensure that your BIOS/UEFI firmware is up-to-date, as updates may improve hardware compatibility.
    2. Examine IDE Configuration:
    • Master/Slave Settings: For IDE devices, you must set the jumpers correctly on the devices. If you have an IDE HDD and CD-ROM on the same IDE cable, one must be set as "Master" and the other as "Slave." Check the jumpers on both devices and ensure they are correctly set.
    • Check IDE Cables: Make sure the IDE cables are properly connected and not damaged. Sometimes a faulty or improperly connected cable can cause issues.
    3. Test Components Individually:
    • Test the CD-ROM Drive Alone: Connect only the CD-ROM drive to the IDE channel and see if the system starts. This can help determine if the issue is with the CD-ROM drive itself.
    • Test Different IDE Ports: Try connecting the CD-ROM drive to different IDE ports (if available) and see if the issue persists.
    4. Check Power Supply:
    • Power Connections: Ensure that the CD-ROM drive has a proper power connection. Sometimes insufficient power supply can cause the system not to boot.
    5. SATA Drive Installation:
    • SATA Compatibility: Ensure that the SATA hard drive is properly connected and detected by the BIOS/UEFI. Verify that the SATA cables are securely connected.
    • Test SATA Drive Alone: If possible, test the SATA drive alone without the CD-ROM drive connected to see if the issue is with the drive or the combination of drives.
    6. Look for Hardware Conflicts:
    • Conflicting Devices: Ensure there are no hardware conflicts or issues with other components. Sometimes a faulty component can prevent the system from starting.
    Summary of Your Scenarios:
    • IDE HDD on Primary IDE (PIDE): Working fine.
    • SATA HDD + CD-ROM on Primary IDE (PIDE): No start.
    • IDE HDD on PIDE + CD-ROM on Secondary IDE (SIDE): No start.
    • SATA HDD + CD-ROM on SIDE: No start.
    • IDE HDD + CD-ROM on PIDE: No start.
    Potential Solutions:
    • Reconfigure the IDE Setup: Correct the master/slave jumpers on the IDE devices.
    • Update BIOS/UEFI: Check for and install any available updates.
    • Test Components Individually: Isolate each component to find the faulty one.
    If you follow these steps and still encounter problems, consider seeking assistance from a professional technician, as the issue might be more complex and involve hardware-specific troubleshooting.

    jackhicks1211, Aug 27, 2024