SUN Fire X4200 not powering up

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by cknipe, Mar 24, 2012.

  1. cknipe

    cknipe

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I recently obtained an second hand Fire x4200. Initially, the server had a problem with the SYS/MBT/V_BAT sensor, reading a mere 0.5V. I have since replaced the RTC clock battery, the sensor is at a stable and healthy 3V now.

    Now the server has no errors, all error/warning lights on the chassis are off, the LOM's event log also reports absolutely no errors, and my green power light is flashing, as it is supposed to be doing when the server is powered off.

    Now, for some reason, I am unable to power the server on :confused: LOM's event log after pushing the front power button reads:

    Console:
    Followed by LOM logs:
    Can anyone possibly shed some light as to why the server isn't powering up? Visably on the server, as well as in the LOM, all sensors appear to be fine and there's no error or warnings given anywhere...

    I'm stumbed. 20+ years in IT, and I can't power on a server?!?! :D

    cknipe, Mar 24, 2012

  2. cknipe

    rv197789

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I had the same situation here.
    I could boot the ILOM and do a login here but when I tried to do a 'start /SYS' I got the same error.

    Also when running this command, I got an empty table!

    Finally I found my solution to this situation.
    There seem to be an intrusion switch that detects when covers are removed. Then the server will power off!
    In my situation this switch was bent and broken. When this switch isn't working it thinks that the covers are still removed and so the server will stay power off!

    I had to replace this I/O board to be able to boot the server again.

    From the 'Sun Fire X4100 X4200 Servers Diagnostics Guide 819-3284-17.pdf'

    In your case you will have to check the status of this switch. It is on the 'Front I/O Board w/Cover Interlock Switch' (P/N 501-7256).
    Maybe you can repair it without replacing the board.

    The switch itself is found on the left side of the server, just behind the FAN trays.

    I found it very easy to damage the switch, so watch out.

    rv197789, Apr 13, 2012