Trying to upgrade GX620 processor

Discussion in 'Dell' started by AlanMuller, Oct 9, 2009.

  1. AlanMuller

    AlanMuller

    The existing processor is a Pentium® 4 Processors 521SL87HX (not allowed to post link.)

    I'm trying to install an E5300 SLB9U (not allowed to post link.)

    Bios has been flashed to A11 version.

    All I get is a solid amber power switch LED and some fans running. This often means power supply issues in a Dell, but the new one has lower dissipation than the original so that doesn't seem likely.

    Dell support points out that the documentation for this system shows a 533 FSB, but the processor in the machine was 800, so that doesn't seem likely to be the issue.

    The MB is a btx, of course, and seems to be a Foxconn. Dell doesn't seem to be able to provide much documentation on it.

    Can anybody advise?

    Thanks.

    am

    AlanMuller, Oct 9, 2009