TUF Gaming Z790-Plus D4 / i9-13900KF build issue

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Patricks, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Patricks

Patricks

Just received this mobo and building on a breadboard have issues. Installed i9-13900KF, RTX 3090, and one stick of 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence ram. Put power to CPU/GPU/motherboard main power, installed power on/off switch. Switch power supply on and the mobo graphics light up. Turned on system and it goes to Post screen, hit Del key and says New CPU Detected and I should go to Setup to lower my fan threshold settings (no fans installed), hit F1 to have the Asus Optimized setup run. Hit F1 (no other choices) and screen goes black and computer shuts down after a few seconds. Restarting several times after turning off power will get it back to the AMI screen, but never able to get into BIOS. I will reset CMOS but I would assume that will do nothing as it's brand new and has had no settings changed. I have reseated CPU, reseated (and tried an 8GB I had) the RAM, reseated the video card. I've built more systems than I can count in the past, have never seen this behavior, am I missing something obvious?

Patricks, Nov 4, 2022
  2. Patricks

Patricks

Edit: Waiting until Monday for a cheapo GPU to arrive for testing as swapping out the 3090 from this system is tedious at best. Also going to install the AIO water cooler (the 13900 gets hot very quickly, possibly one of the issues) and plug a case fan into the CPU fan header as the BIOS may be thinking the RPM is 0 and that is causing a shutdown..

Patricks, Nov 5, 2022
  3. Patricks

Patricks

Follow up, after I got a "test" GPU I did the opposite of my normal procedure and built the entire system without testing and guess what, perfect start up, all working optimally. Win11 has me impressed, dropped my boot drive in the new system, took about 30 seconds for Win11 to prepare, booted right up! It even asked to go get LAN drivers and install Armory Crate, which it did without a hitch... very happy!

Patricks, Nov 8, 2022
Ask a Question