video card upgrade (agp)

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by RobertoJ, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. RobertoJ

    RobertoJ

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Current PC specs: 3200+ 64 bit, 1GB PC3200, Geforce 6600GT AGP, xp
    sp2. Playing Battlefield 2 is not a good experience as you can imagine
    (I can play at 1024x768 but at low avg frame rates), and when Unreal
    Tournament 3 comes out in Q3/4 I will need to upgrade anyway. I would
    like to play BF2 and UT3 at reasonable resolution/framerate without
    replacing my entire computer. Here is my plan..

    Replace 6600GT with eVGA 256-A8-N506-AX Geforce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit
    GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X.
    Add 1GB PC3200.

    Will this give me what I want?

    With such a slow cpu, should I look into a passive cooled 7600? I feel
    a 7800 may be better paired with a faster cpu (according to a few
    benchmarks at least); thanks for your help.

    RobertoJ, Apr 12, 2007