Virtual Memory Low

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by RitaM, Feb 22, 2007.

1. RitaM

RitaM

It has been a while since I have been really into the hardware (or even software aspect) of computer technology, and unfortunately I am having what seem to be some hardware related issues. As of about a week ago, my computer has been running extremely slow at times, especially in the morning when I get on and it has been left on all night. It has also been giving me a windows error that says my "virtual memory is running low" and that "windows is adjusting it now," etc. Well whatever windows did doesn't seem to be working because I am getting the message increasingly more often. After the message pops up, I get a few "Progrom not responding" prompts from various programs and the computer locks up and I must reset using button. What little info I knew regarding memory types and computer hardware in general is now lost, and I call on you guys for help. Thanks a lot, and here are my specs:

- ASUS K8 Triton Series, nForce3
    - AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    - Seagate 80gb HD @7200rpm (about 89% full)
    - Kingston ValueRam: PC2700, 512gb x 2
    - ATI Radeon 9800Pro

Things I plan to try tonight:

- Complete defrag
    - Full system scan (anti-virus, spyware)
    - System clean-up

RitaM, Feb 22, 2007
Ask a Question